Friday 22 July 2011

Oops, neglecting my blog

So I've neglected my blog already.  Partly because I've been away but also because my Smart Phone isn't smart in connection with updating a blog.  I can create a new entry, or edit one that's saved, but can't actually write anything in the text boxes.  Anyone?  Anyone?

My holiday was wonderful and has left me not wanting to be back, particularly back in work.  I've had a bit of an up-and-down year, with more down than up I suspect, and it's been pretty tricky for me as I previously loved my job.  Of course I had bad days, with bosses who ranged from frustrating to incompetent to actually not very nice, but I didn't have too much trouble getting out of bed to do it.  In the last year, that's been totally different.  My attitude has been knocked because I was treated very badly (after being treated just "badly" a couple of years before) and as I look around, I have no faith in the senior management to be able to do what needs to be done.  Or, frankly, to do very much indeed.  But I manage staff and I still have the personal integrity to know that I can't let them know I feel like that and have to help them achieve their objectives every day.  Blugh.

So I got back to work on Monday morning, having landed on Saturday evening, been home and in bed at a reasonable time and awake before 4am on both Sunday and Monday mornings.  So I got in to work just after 7am on Monday because I knew I'd be flagging in the late afternoon.  I ploughed through 300 or so emails and thought "nothing's happened".  No progress had been made on big issues, and the managers below me hadn't done anything with what I'd asked them to do. Very frustrating.  And it also fired the side of me that gives a big sigh every morning when I get up so that I don't want to be there again.

So we need to think about operation get out.  Get somewhere else.  So that I feel I'm doing SOMETHING.  There is a project I'm working on that'll run to early next year and it's about changing structure and staffing so I really do want to see that through (good for the CV but also make sure my people are treated properly because they deserve it) and then ......

Answers on a postcard please .....

1 comment:

  1. Can't help you re smartphone...I'm not smart enough...

    Re changing your job - I can only recommend as being unhappy at work is soul-destroying. Good luck.

    Lesley xx

    ReplyDelete