Sunday 31 July 2011

Old Friends, Good Times

I had a week where all I wanted to do was moan and complain and thought that my blog didn't deserve all of that.  So waited until I got something nicer to write about.  Which was yesterday.  Despite blinding headache, I went to see an old friend, possibly my oldest friend that I'm still in touch with - in terms of longevity of friendship rather than age of friend - and who I'd not caught up with for some months because we can both be a bit pants.  And it was lovely.  We went for a long walk on to the downs near where he lives - well actually not that near because it must have been a good two miles to get there and then we walked for a couple of miles and then walked home again, all starting quite late in the afternoon.  But the weather was beautiful and we walked and chatted.

There are some friendships that it really doesn't matter if you see your friend every day or not for weeks or months, it's still the same.  And this is one of those.  We've been friends for the best part of 30 years, since primary school, and we've laughed, cried, fought, travelled ...... and we're still there for each other.  When I split up with my boyfriend, and I had to cope with the house on my own and get used to having no money, he was there.  I've taken him on holiday because he's had no money.  I've got used to his girlfriends banning him from seeing me because there "obviously" must be something going on - because I've known that if I just wait, he'll see that if she can't deal with a friendship, she's really not worth hanging on to.  And my boyfriend really likes him too so that shows me that I'm with a really great guy.

Yesterday also underlined that I need to plan more exciting weekends like this.  Not going far or spending lots of money but just having some quality good time with quality people.  Hmm, where's my diary.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds lovely. I've got a good male friend so know what you mean about the jealousy thing. Tellingly, my ex just assumed that my pal and I must be at it and so they seldom spent time together! He couldn't understand that someone might just enjoy my company! New bloke is totally chilled about our friendship and so, conversely, I'm happy to spend time with BOTH of them.

    Lesley xx

    ReplyDelete