Wednesday 14 December 2011

Nearly back on time and then ......

So I mainly floated through last week, floundering from one day to the next and feeling really rather tired.  On Thursday evening, I went to see Chris Addison at a comedy gig.  He was really excellent, amusing himself as much as everyone else it seemed, and enjoying making "middle class" jokes about Waitrose and hummous.  Getting there was a tad stressful as the trains were up the creek again, and I made it with just 5 mins to spare.  You really don't want to walk in late to a comedy gig late.

Friday morning, I was dropped home by my v nice man as I'd stopped at his the night before.  And although it was half 8, I felt I could snooze for a little while and listen to the radio.  And after accepting two calls from work (I don't work on Fridays but had told some of my staff to get in touch about particular issues), I went back to sleep ..... until 2pm.  It proves that I really was tired when I say that I had no trouble getting back to sleep that night.  Bed by half 9!

It's been a funny couple of weeks.  Just before my holiday, my v nice man's eldest daughter (16 going on 26) decided that she was going to come and live with him in the week.  Now to date when he's had the kids around, I've stayed out of the way.  Not that I've got anything against them (we'll get on to them having something against me ....) but when it was their weekend to spend with their dad, I felt quite strongly that they didn't need to have me around, it was parent-child time.  However, her moving in was going to be quite different.  She is a nice kid, when she wants to be.  She can be fantastic but she can be a real pain and it really depends on her mood and thoughts.  Initially, when we got together, she was almost encouraging her dad to move on.  When he did, she decided that I was the devil incarnate - not helped by the fact that her mother has decided that he and I were having an affair for years before we got together (not true - and indeed impossible as I didn't know him well at all and indeed was travelling for almost 8 months, which would have made things logistically very difficult!). 

She stayed over for the first week before I went away.  And to date it's all ok.  It's meant a bit of re-thinking because whereas before, we had no routine about where we stayed or even when we had an evening together and when not, suddnenly routine has been inflicted upon us.  He has to be at home Sun-Wed/Thu evenings when she's there and it makes things less flexible.  But we've actually had some fun times too, just banter over dinner or when she sang along with some of the songs at our band rehearsal. 

I'm going to see a consultant on Friday about headaches and to give me something to talk about, I've had a really painful one for the last two days - confining me to bed painful.  I don't really get migraines, but my headaches are getting worse.  I went to the doctor's which was pretty useless and included the sentence "what are you hoping to get out of this consultation" when I went back for a second opinion.  I know that headaches aren't easy to diagnose, I know that it might be nothing but when it came on from nowhere and these are different headaches that are lingering, I think it's right to ask questions.

So I'm lying in bed typing, feeling a little guilty for not being in bed now although it was not good this morning and I really would have struggled to get in to London.  There's a lot going on and people are not doing things I want them to do whilst I'm not in the office but I can't worry about that right now, I'll start that worry tomorrow.

2 comments:

  1. Oh yeah, the old 'what are you hoping to get out of this' question. Presumably they've been told to ask this. SURELY the answer is 'for you to make me better', durrrrrrrr

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there. I'm doing a blogging catchup and wanted to drop in and wish you all the best for Christmas and the New Year. what are you going to be doing? Hopefully spending it with very nice man (with or without his kids according to taste).

    Good luck with the headaches - if they persist, might I recommend "Chocolate and Vicodin" by Jenette Fulda who has had chronic headaches for a long time and writes very well about them. (She's a former fat blogger who used to write under the name of Pastaqueen.)

    Lesley xx

    ReplyDelete