Sunday 4 December 2011

Body in the UK, head on another time zone!

Been a really bad blogger - although, I'm still blaming HTC partly because I can't get my phone to write blog posts ...... I can read other people's stuff and comment but can't do anything with my own blog whilst away.

So, I've had two crazy weeks in SE Asia.  Absolutely intriguing place and a fantastic holiday - non stop for two weeks, a group trip with 13 other people I'd never met before.  It started a little shakily as the tour company first rearranged the trip because of the floods in Bangkok and then a couple of days before it was all rearranged back.  Not a problem at all for me but it did end up being a bit of an issue for some of the others who didn't get told - in particular, a couple who'd got married in Thailand (changing a lot of their plans because of the FCO advice not to travel) and who were not told, emailed, called and spent over 6 hours waiting for the rest of the group at Bangkok airport.

But once we got underway, it was fantastic.  We had some brilliant local guides, all of whom were very keen to share everything about their countries with us and some of whom had had incredible experiences - including a guy who'd be in the Cambodian army towards the end of Pol Pot's time and another whose father and uncle had lived in the Cu Chi tunnels outside Saigon, frustrating the American soldiers.  When you hear the stories and see them still smiling, it really hits home how lucky you are.

Were I as technically capable as Lesley, I'd put some photos on here, but at the moment they are very slowly being put on to Facebook and Flickr.  I took over 1200 - lots to be deleted when I see them on a decent-sized screen but that still takes time, as well as processing and converting (I went sophisticated and bought myself a digital SLR which is great but the photos do involve some faffing about).  

The rest of the group was one of the best I've ever travelled with.  There was no one who immediately felt like my best friend but everyone was nice and there was no one that anyone wanted to avoid at dinner or on day trips out.  One couple were really really lovely and I hope we do stay in touch.  They've continued on for a few weeks (until early January) and I'm looking forward to following the trip.

There's lots more I could dwell on, but I'm still awake at 7pm after not being in bed since Friday night/Saturday morning (equivalent to 1am Saturday GMT) and I'm slowly fading.  So will come back to you with everything else in my mind.

1 comment:

  1. That sounds like a brilliant trip! It is a lovely part of the world isn't it? I haven't been to Vietnam or Cambodia but love Thailand and Malaysia.

    I hear you about the faffing around with digital pics. But it's worth it. I spend ages after each holiday sorting, deleting, resizing and improving my pics then getting them up on Facebook and on my blog. Haven't mastered Flikr....yet.

    Good to have you back although you would probably prefer to still be out there in the sunshine!

    Lesley xx

    ReplyDelete