Wednesday 25 January 2012

Some successes but some failures (eg. blogging!)

Well I've been a pretty lousy blogger since the New Year.  I've been reading other people's stuff - which almost seems worse because I'm getting the pleasure out of other's work without putting in the effort myself.  Bad girl.

But I have pulled my finger out about a couple of things that I've been meaning to do for a while.  Bizzarely, I'll be the only person who managed to lose weight over Christmas (without trying I hasten to add - more rushing around than I'd planned) and I thought I'd carry on the good work and try to shift some of the weight that's built up over the last ...... well quite a while.  So at the moment, I'm being good with my salad and jacket potato at lunchtime, lots of fruit and veg and just the one glass of wine in the evening - the trick to which is buying single-serving bottles because I am generally not able to just have the one drink (but not in an alcoholic way, you understand).

After being depressed about everyone else's holiday plans, I am in the process of sorting out an exciting holiday for my very nice man and I in November.  We have slightly different definitions of "holiday" generally - I like travelling to new places and seeing lots of things and he doesn't want to travel too far (because he gets on aeroplanes regularly with work) and is happy to do very little.  We've been away a few times but for very specific purposes - mainly weddings or to see friends, although the Australia trip last year was tagged on to conference he was attending.  But this is going to be the first real holiday that we're planning for no reason, as it were.  I'm getting very excited about it all - I like going on holiday - but he's not really engaged as he doesn't do planning and November seems a very, very long way away.  But I'm having fun.  I've suggested El Salvador - because I imagine your first thought is "why would you go there" and I'm always keen to go somewhere different.  I am very quickly becoming knowledgeable about the geography and culture, and it really does look interesting.

The best success, which isn't one for which I can claim credit but which is pleasing me no end, is that steps have been taken to engage in the divorce process.  Technically, my very lovely man is someone else's husband.  To make that sound less bad, I can clarify that he was separated when we got together (and had been for 11 months) and indeed she decided that she didn't want to be married any more and threw him out so he really is blame-free in this scenario.  He said that he was going to go for a no-fault divorce after two years apart - that milestone came and went, as did three years, but he after some difficult times, including him struggling to see his kids when she was awkward about arrangements, he didn't want to rock the boat. 

But with a new year comes new resolve.  He's taken quite a few kicks from her recently and he doesn't want to take any more.  But in true "man" style, now he's started, he wants it to be finished already.  And of course it doesn't work like that.  He's been incredibly reasonable to date - yes I would say that but this has included paying half the mortgage for the last 4 years when it now seems inevitable that he won't get anything from the equity because of the value of his pension, and he's still paying her full support for all three kids even when the eldest now stays with him four nights a week. 

So, lots of *yay* but lots of hard work to come.  But very much prepared for it.  Just need to keep my resolve. 

No comments:

Post a Comment