Sunday 29 January 2012

Taking five

I'd love to be a domestic goddess.   I'd like to have one of those houses that look like a magazine shoot, you could have people around at any point with no need to dash around and tidy up/hide things.  Cleaning would then involve just gliding around the hoover and feather duster and it would be very simple.

I'd live with just being tidy by nature, but I'm really not.  I know that things should go back where they came from, but somehow they just don't.  Add to that the fact that lots of my things don't actually have a proper home because I've never really mentally settled on that.  And you can imagine my life.  I hate throwing things away - some things for sentimental reasons but also I'm very thrifty by nature (for which I blame my parents, born just before and just after WWII) so I hate waste.  I used to do lots of work with Girl Guides and had things like A4 paper and card, which is still in the spare room.  If I could find something sensible to do with it, I could get rid of lots of it.  But despite asking a few friends with kids and also the local playgroup, it's not found a new home.  Multiply that up by everything I have ......

I'm currently proud of downstairs, I had a big tidy and clean after Christmas and it's respectable most of the time, just needing to move things upstairs periodically, but upstairs is not!  The spare rooms are piles of things needing moving.  It's not helped by the fact that it's really cold in the room that's got 3 outside walls and above the garage.  So I'm not keen to go in there and tackle it. 

Why is it that we know we should do things and we don't!  I'd feel less guilty about it all the time, I'd be able to have friends stay without thinking "need time to tidy", and I'd have the things I do want to keep in albums or boxes and get rid of things that I don't need to keep. 

This afternoon's job is the regular tidying and cleaning (made urgent by dropping a cup of tea on the laminate floor in the living room!) - and I'm procrastinating right now.  Get up - go, move, do ......  Off I go.

2 comments:

  1. Ohhhhh, I wish I had the tidy gene but... sadly not.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is hard to take time out of busy lives to make yourself do things which are no fun and not, in the great scheme of things, not important!! Little and often I suppose...I feel as though I spend my life carrying things from one room to another only for them to migrate back again...

    Lesley xx

    ReplyDelete