Sunday 11 September 2011

Stop - hammock time

As part of the aim to be a better blogger ......

It's been a lovely weekend.  Weather-wise I mean.  We're so lucky that the weather has decided to play ball for a little longer.  I mean, I'm not expecting too much, I don't need ninety degrees in the shade, I'm happy to be outside in a jumper and jeans in August just so long as I can get a bit of sun on my face and a clear blue sky.  That's not too bad, is it. 

A few years ago I had some time out - a grown-up Gap year, that lasted 33 weeks.  I first taught English in Central America and then travelled pretty extensively in South America.  And came back with wonderful memories and two hammocks.  I got very attached to sleeping in hammocks when I was away and bought a couple to bring home.  I wouldn't have believed I'd sleep in the so well, I'm a fussy sleeper who tosses and turns a lot going to sleep but in a hammock I didn't try (you can't really move too much but somehow I didn't want to, and it wasn't because I was sleeping badly at all). 

Four years later, I have FINALLY got around to having some work done in my garden, including putting in some posts from which to hang the hammock.  It turned out to be a strike of genius before all the kids were over for my birthday but there weren't many (indeed any) opportunities for me to try out the hammocks. 

But now, I've got the hammock and I can just pop out for half an hour and lie in it, rock back and forth and read the paper or do something else just for me.  I don't mind that it's not that warm - I can live with that.  I've slept in it in a sleeping bag so taking a blanket out isn't a problem.  It's just very self indulgent, I'm saying that I'm going to be out there for a little while and I can't pretend that I'm doing something else.  Me time just for me. 

So, excuse me, hammock calling - got to make the most of it whilst weather's permitting!

1 comment:

  1. So, not Hammer-Time but Hammock-Time - a sign of the times eh?! Sounds gorgeous.

    Lesley x

    ReplyDelete