Tuesday 6 September 2011

Bad blogger

I'd never intended to be this bad at blogging, honest! I don't like that I can't update the blog from my phone, why, I don't understand. And when I get home at night, after spending all day in front of a computer screen, I have no urge to turn the computer on and start typing.

I've messed about with a few posts to update about the things I've been doing in the last few weeks. I went to Edinburgh for the Fringe and had a lovely time - after I survived the journey, 10 hours from office (in London) to get to my friend's flat, she'd gone to bed and left the key under the mat. I spent a day taking myself to see shows that took my fancy and saw Worbey & Farrell, a pair of superb pianists who take the comedy piano duets to a new level, not just swapping seats and batting each other out of the way but mixing cocktails whilst playing, and I also saw the Rom Com Con, a free show with two budding young actresses from Cambridgeshire who were testing the theory that Rom Coms just make it all up. And my friend and I had pre-booked Rich Hall (v funny man, much better than when on Have I Got News For You), Fred Macaulay (much ruder than when he's on the radio!) and Mitch Benn who was superb. My favourite moment was his Macbeth rap, in the style of Eminem and with backing recorded on his i-phone as he went on - to demonstrate what Shakespeare would have been doing were he alive today!

I also went to Cornwall with my very nice man and his previously nice but now more difficult 11 year old. That's the end of trips like that, unfortunately, and not just because it was hard work on our side. We stayed with a friend of mine, who has a 2½ year old. I've known her for 13 years and we've got on very well all that time. Since she's had the child, it's been tricky because the child is all consuming - he doesn't seem to be a difficult child but she's found him very demanding. But she dotes on him and makes him the centre of - nay, the only thing in - her life. It makes visiting tricky because you can't spend any time with her. Her other half is a nice enough guy but doesn't do much with the child at all, partly because he seems struggle to know what to do with him although that has changed now he's not a baby any more. And partly because she won't let anyone else do things with the child. She's still breast feeding - at 2½, I'm trying not to judge - which means she's never had a night away from him but also won't let anyone else do things to help.

Anyway, add this to the fact that the 11 year old has just started to be awkward, the trip was not easy. He wants to be with his dad when we're away - of course that's very understandable - although he's happy to have other people around. Except me. But it got taken to an extreme - take the day we went into the town for him to look for presents for his mum and sisters, I opted to get a newspaper and sit in a cafe. I would have hated shopping with anyone and it was a perfect dad and son opportunity. But the boy had a face on the whole time; in the end, when it was drawn out of him, he said he thought it was just going to be him and his dad. And the thing that confused us all was it was just him and his dad - they had two hours (when he was miserable) entirely without me. And of course, because we were staying with a friend of mine, my very nice man had money to spend on activities, which they also did on their own without me!

But I've booked another nice holiday for me. Unfortunately without the lovely man but he's both broke and can't get away from work. But I'm going to take me to get a flash view of Asia - a dash through Thailand, Cambodia and Vietnam in 2 weeks. In November/December, when the weather there is supposed to be the best and it'll give me some summer sun in the winter, yay for me. I love going away and I need to always have a trip to look forward to. I know I'm incredibly to still be able to do this post credit crunch but I don't spend much on other things - not on clothes or nights out or my house (all nice but nothing new in ...... well ages) - so I can splurge. Lucky me!

1 comment:

  1. Hey there hon. Good to see you back...I've checked in a few times. Sorry to hear about the lad being awkward. Such a shame...has he been influenced by his older sibling perhaps??

    I hear you about the friends with kids thing too. Some seem to be able to remain their own person (and your pal) but others you just have to let go for a while til they can see past their miraculous offspring, hopefully sometime this decade!!

    And finally, I am deeply jealous of your jaunt. It sounds much deserved. Go you!!!

    Lesley x

    ReplyDelete