Saturday 8 October 2011

Please world, stop picking on me .....

I'm feeling a bit battered and bruised today, quite literally because I've got a bruise on the back of my hand from nowhere and got a jab yesterday which means I have a very achy arm.  But also metaphorically.  I've moved from feeling very happy and positive to feeling like the world is out to get me this week - and I need to think my way through that so that next week is better.

Carrying on with the medical theme, I've been to the surgery twice this week, unheard of for me.  Once to have a further doctor's appointment about the headache I've now had for the best part of four months.  This was my third visit and involved the doctor asking "what do you want to get out of this" - I've had a headache for four months, as well as making it go away, I was hoping for some kind of explanation.  It's not normal and not right - and therefore not fair.  I'm being referred to a neurologist, not actually what I wanted, although I'm not sure what I was after.  Until then, I'm taking daily tablets, not my preferred approach.  My trip to the nurse on Friday was to get a typhoid jab, in preparation for my holiday - yay.  But I was told that malaria tablets can only be by private prescription and that this costs £10 to get the Doctor to write a prescription before it works out at about £3 per tablet.  I accept that I have to pay for the medication but £10 for the script is outrageous!  It must be in the NHS's interest for me to take malaria tablets.  I'm pretty left wing in my views and as a single woman with no children and a well-paid job, I accept that I pay more tax than I will ever get back from any services - indeed I more than accept that, I believe it is morally right.  And I also am comfortable with means testing where appropriate.  But £10 for a doctor to write a prescription - really?

I'm also feeling a bit picked on at work.  We're restructuring which is difficult and we have to do a lot of paperwork and also ask our staff to apply for jobs and it's stressful for all.  I've agreed to coordinate the process and I'm really disturbed by the views that some of my colleagues take of the process.  They're not taking it seriously which is just outrageous - yes, we also have busy day jobs but we are leaders and managers and that has to be our first priority right now.  But what I'm REALLY feeling sore about is that due to someone else's disorganisation, I had to come in on Friday for 1 hour to complete something that was scheduled for Thursday.  I don't work on Fridays.  Coming in for that one hour took me nearly 4 hours in travel time because trains are slower ourside morning and evening peaks.  And the person whose fault it was didn't even acknowledge what I did - didn't even apologise for screwing up my week. 

So after going to work on Friday, going to the doctors to get jabbed and stung for a prescription and finally getting rained on as I left the surgery - really heavy drops that get you wet very quickly - I felt really picked on by the time I got home. 

I'm looking for a nice weekend.  I'm starting with a blank canvas.  I have no plans - I need to do some tidying up and cleaning at home, not fun but necessary and hopefully something from which I can get a sense of achievement (let's face it, the spare room is messy enough right now that if I can put all the washing away and do the filing, I will have achieved quite a great deal).  Otherwise, I'm going to do nice things for me I think.  Not sure what but something nice.  Because the work stuff will continue and I'll need to have some resilience to get on with work next week.

1 comment:

  1. So annoying when genuine greivance piles up on genuine greivance. Grrr I hope you had a lovely weekend to cheer you up and that this week is progressing without the irritations.

    How aggravating of that colleague to be so blase. We;'ve been through the restructuring thing at work too and i would be so angry if people were not taking it seriously. It means everything to those people who will lose their jobs!!

    Chin up chuck.

    Lesley x

    ReplyDelete